WHAT IS A CALL TO ACTION?
A call to action (CTA) is a form, button or sign up form that tells website visitors to take some specific action. A call to action is typically written as a command or suggestive button, such as ‘SIGN UP’ or ‘GET STARTED TODAY’.
WHY IS A CALL TO ACTION IMPORTANT TO YOUR WEBSITE?
The call to action is a key component of a website, notifying a visitor what to do next. Without a clear CTA, the visitor may not know the next steps to take in purchasing your product or signing up for your newsletter. Without a clear direction, a visitor is likely to leave your site without accomplishing the key task.
There can be multiple call to action on a page if there are multiple desired actions for a visitor to take. An effective call to action will make it clear which action to take the next steps in navigating your website.
EXAMPLES OF A CTA
A call to action can refer to any specific task or goal you would like for a visitor to complete. Because there are various styles of websites, different CTAs might be used.
For example, on a blog the CTAs might look like:
- Read more articles
- Sign-up for our newsletter
- Support our sponsor
- Share on social media
Whereas on an ecommerce site, the CTAs may be more commercially focused:
- Add to cart
- Buy now
- Add to wishlist
In each case, the CTAs on the page tells the user what action to take next to continue interacting with the site and moving further down the conversion funnel.
HOW TO CREATE A CALL TO ACTION THAT WORKS
Marketing firms have creative techniques when creating effective CTAs. Below is a list of some common ones:
- Good Design: A colorful button that contrasts with the color of the page is a good strategy to get the user’s attention.
- High Visibility: Because the call to action should be the most noticeable thing on the page, the font size should be large enough to command attention.
- Clear Benefit: Stating a clear benefit that the user will get from completing the transaction is an effective way to get them to click.
- Actionable Text: A call to action written in the imperative mood gives a clear and direct command of what to do.
- Short in Length: A good call to action should be a short phrase, not a sentence. Most are no longer than five words.
- Guarantees That Reduce Perceived Risk: Any type of money-back guarantee or short free trial period helps convince the user that there is little risk in completing the transaction.
How To Use A/B Testing To Test CTAs
Every audience responds differently to various calls to action. There is no guarantee that one call to action will outperform another.
The overall success of a call to action can be measured via a conversion rate formula that calculates the number of clicks divided by the number of impressions, or times the CTA was seen.
To test the effectiveness of various calls to action on your website or landing page, you can contact us today. We will eliminate any guesswork and give you data-backed information that helps you optimize your website for the highest-converting CTAs.
We provide custom mobile friendly designs that create engagement and provide a great user experience for your customers.
Your logo is primitive to success. Together we will create a logo that will stand out and above your competition.
We build custom iOS and Android apps that help businesses bring their products and services right to their customers.
We help build your identity from the ground up. From logos, brochures, letterheads and business cards, we have you covered.